I would imagine that a number of people on this list are probably wondering (or unsure) what shock changes could improve their rig's handling and stability. I am going to try to use this thread to document what I have tried and what type of results I have obtained with various settings.
My opinions of the stock setup was that the rear end wanted to wander side to side a little during large whoops at high speeds. Body roll was heavy and steering was difficult. The rearend wanted to buck badly over small (1 foot tall) bumps and when taking table top type jumps where the entrance was short to the jump.
My first change was to take some nitrogen charge out of the shocks all around to make it sit a little lower. I found the stability better and the steering a little easier. Body roll was still heavy. Rear still wanted to bounce around side to side during whoops. I ran 3 races in this configuration. Placing top 3 in overall times in all 3 races. Rearend still bucked badly and jumps with short entrance ramps were SCAREY!
Second go-around I revalved and changed fluid and pressures to be as follows:
50 compression (stock = 35 compression)
70 rebound (stock = 45 rebound)
300 ccs of fluid (stock = 275ccs)
200 psi (stock = 200psi)
90 compression (stock = 75 compression)
85 rebound (stock = 85 rebound)
350 ccs (stock = 300ccs)
210 psi (stock = 200 psi)
I ran this for one race as well as for a day at the dunes. Rearend was bucking badly, still, possibly worse than before. Handling over the whoops was better and didn't seem to have the backend bouncing side to side hardly at all, although still had just a touch. Ride height is a little high, making steering a little difficult. I placed 3rd overall, in time, with this setup. Was good in the dunes with the additional up travel when landing off of large jumps. Looked cool too.............
3rd go-around, and at my current setup. I am trying to speed up the rebound in the front in order to try to get the front end to come up faster over humps and jumps in order to match the rearend.
300 cc's of fluid
I plan to test it this weekend. I will report how it works after this weekend when I get a chance to try it.
BTW: Properly setup Elkas have proven to fly straight off of table tops and such, land MUCH better, and handle small berm type of humps with ease (no bucking!!!). So this valving thread is really just leading up to me getting Elkas!