Re: OCT 18th Glen Helen
This is a hard one to answer because it depends on which organization you are racing with. Damon is describing what will work with the racing class he is putting together. For the stuff I am racing in out in Phoenix, it is about the same. If you want to race Best in the Desert or SCORE, you need more. Here is a list of things you would need. Items 1 through 4 are a minimum in a Redline. All of these would get you to race SCORE.
1) Window nets
2) Fire extinguisher within easy reach from outside of rig
3) Rear amber light (solid)
4) Rear brake/running light
5) Rear blue light (solid)
6) Fuel cell
7) Upper cage made from 1-1/2"x.120 wall DOM minimum. Chromoly also allowed.
8) Two amber lights (one flashing, one solid)
9) Two rear tail lights/break lights
10) Another fire extinguisher outside of the passenger compartment
11) A fire wall (In a Redline, this is needed to seperate the driver from the battery which is considered and explosive device)
12) First aid kit onboard
For me, all I really would have needed to pass tech for Whiplash racing was window nets and a fire extinguisher. The Redline Revolt had everything else that was needed. I added the lower links for added strength and I have upgraded by steering links as well after bending one in a race.
Hope this helps by adding some deeper detail on what is needed. A good place to look is the Best in the Desert web site which has a really good rule book for UTV racing. This would be the ultimate setup.