Redline Riot With Yamaha R1 Motor
I am Brian. I live in Mesa, AZ.
I bought a Riot and on my first trip to Glamis Sand Dunes, my motor mysteriously ran out of oil? Dont know how but that was the beginning of this project.
So, I decided instead of re-building the ring-a-ding-ding Weber Motor, I am installing a Yamaha 1000cc Snow Mobile Motor. It has a CVT belt so I do not need to change the transmission.
At the time, it seemed like a good idea. But I am no mechanic and as I go, I pay, and pay, and pay.
I got a 2008 Yamaha R1 Sled Motor out of Wisconsin with all the wiring harness, gauges, and all sorts of other attachments.
I took the Redline (without motor) to Desert Fab in Apache Junction AZ. They mostly build rock crawlers and desert race trucks but were happy and eager to build my Redline.
They did a great (and inexpensive) job mounting the motor. They also built me a custom aluminum bed to replace the stock plastic one.
Then I delivered all the parts and the Redline to Dusty of "DCKustom" in El MirageAZ.
Dusty is a master welder and mechanic. (good thing cause I am no biologist!) He has taken on the project of making A+B+C=D
He is figuring out all the how's and why's of getting a 1000cc 130 hp motor into the space of a 75cc 39 hp space and making it all work.
What I have learned the hard way is that the R1 Sled Motor needs a lot of extra things to make it work with the Redline. Such as; a separate oil tank and those do not come cheap, it also needs a super-special custom air box that is going to be BIG $. There are several more mods that I did not expect or budget for that I now get to enjoy.
I already spent $1200 on a custom exhaust from Charles at Pro-Dyno in Phoenix.
At least, Desert Fab fit the motor in so that it will fit the stock belt and belt cover.
Some of the changes that Dusty has made so far:
he added several gauges to better monitor the motor (so I dont blow this one up), added the R1 Gauges, modified the passenger grab bar so that my wife can reach it, added a bar for the passenger's feet so their feet can press against something instead of flopping around. He also had to re-position the bar behind the seats to fit the air intake system.
He is re-working the shifter to make it less "jickity-jack". He completely removed the Redline Wire Harness and has to install the Yamaha Harness in it's place. He built a rear bumper to protect the new exhaust that had to be mounted on the back due to lack of space under the bed.
We also have to get a custom made throttle cable to work with the different motor. We are upgrading batteries and adding a separate brake light.
I have also added a Rugged Radios Dual Headset Intercom with Ipod plug so we can rock out and talk without yelling.
Unfortunately now I can hear my wife screaming "SLOW DOWN!" so, maybe that part was a bad idea. Once it is all done, it will go back to pro-dyno to get fine-tuned.
As things progress I will post some updates and pictures. I hope to have it ready for dune season in a couple months. I have included a pic of the headers with the engine sitting in place and the new bed.
Also, much thanks to Mike at RedRock Powersports for all of his advice, support, knowledge, and availability of parts to keep this endeavor going.