Redline UTV Forums - Redline Riot & Redline Revolt Community - View Single Post - Restoration Started
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
AintQik

Restoration Started

Skip to second post for tech. This is my introduction lol. First off, thanks to Dave and Mike for taking time to help me get started. I'm a tinker and love working on stuff. When I found an old Redline I had to buy it. Don't know if you guys like stories but hey, I guess it's a good way to get started.

I live in NJ otherwise known as off road hell. It's tough to do any sort of riding here anymore. I grew up riding whatever and still have a passion for off-road stuff. My wife made me come back to NJ after retiring from the military. After being all over the world in mountains I figured the last place in the world I would end up was back in NJ. But, my wife is cool so here I am. More on her later. I have 8 acres of land so my 6 year old and I have a couple of Chinese buggys we beat around on. I got mine for a couple hundreds dollars and it looks like it. 250 Honda clone motor. Ported and polished head, cam, pumper carb, remote shocks. Looks like crap goes like hell lol. Had fun building that and my son got old enough to drive so I got him a quarter scale one. Pretty neat. Then, and here comes a lesson, I rolled mine and ripped my shoulder off. It kinda hurt. I was putting the buggy away and strapped in but did not have my helmet on. Punched it to swing the ass around and I caught a rut from my big truck. Took me right over and I said keep your arms in RJ. Well I did but when I came over I stuck my elbow out so my head wouldn't hit the cage. I could not help myself. It hit and ripped my shoulder right off. The only thing holding it together was skin. The muscle pulled away the bone broke. Hurt. Don't do that.

Took a break and put the thing back together. My son saw me wreck and we talked about how I made a big mistake in driving like that over rough ground, and getting in the buggy without my helmet. When I was hanging in the harness with fuel running down my neck I remember seeing his little feet. Lol. He asked me what happened and the first thing I said was daddy made a big mistake. He looked at me and said, yeah I think you were going a bit too fast lol. He is a good kid. We are riding again and having fun in the yard and I started thinking about doing some out of state off road parks. My cdi quit again and that's all I needed to start the wheels turning.

I was actually looking on Craigslist for another Chinese buggy. I saw an ad for a Redline and never heard of it. That's pretty odd as I consider myself pretty hip on anything with a motor. I figured it would be too big for my yard but this one had surprisingly narrow measurements. I found out if was the HMF bike that Hans narrowed and later it was driven by a guy who added hand controls. When I first saw it I knew I was buying it. Coolest thing in the world. I build a bunch of cars for people and have one of the fastest pump gas ZR1s in the world. I do a bunch of old stuff too and have a great time. These buggies really impress me. When I went to look at it it was on the rough side. It was cold and wouldn't start. I cringed as they were giving me the starter motor hell. Finally Intold the guy I want it and I'm not scared if it's blown up. Just make it worth my while. We came to a deal and off we went.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome